Friday 25 January 2013

Star Wars VII: My Thoughts

I am a huge Star Wars fan. I grew up with Star Wars, not around the time it was released, but because I have an awesome brother. I witnessed the disappointment of the cinemas when I saw the prequels, I agree with Simon Pegg's rant from Spaced...bloody Jar Jar!

When Star Wars VII was announced, though, I was very excited. A new Star Wars trilogy that has nothing to do with George Lucas and is headed by Disney? Yes please. Now, of course, I was wary. I was excited by the prequels and look what happened there, but I did have quiet optimism that it's going to be pretty good.

Then Michael Arndt was confirmed and I was happy. I mean, he's not well known, which I think can be a good thing and he's clearly a good writer. He's got an Oscar and he wrote probably the cleverest end to a trilogy in Toy Story 3, yet I had never heard of him. This is a good thing, it means he cares about his work, not his ego. This is exactly what Star Wars needs.

Now, apparently JJ Abrams is going to direct it. Very good move. I'm a massive fan of his rebooted Star Trek. I think it did wonders for that universe. It also proves that he can deal with the pressure of making a massive, big budget summer blockbuster. He has Mission Impossible III on his CV too. Let's look at his other positives: He's good with special effects, he knows key guys in the industry, he can handle the pressure of fanboys on his back and he's an excellent director. Super 8 proves this even further. The train crash in Super 8 was amazing. It looked great, but it wasn't all about the special effects. It had a human side to it. And this, is exactly what makes Star Wars (the originals), Star Wars. Also he knows Simon Pegg, so hopefully he'll get a cameo or something in it. Bless his little heart! 

Now we have got the news that they're planning to extend the Star Wars spectrum and are now making spin offs on famous characters from the universe. Names that have come up so far are young Han Solo, Boba Fett and Yoda. If you would have offered this in the gap between Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace I'm sure most Star Wars fans would have bitten your arms off, so what's changed? Absolutely nothing in my eyes. If the writing is good, I can't see why these are not a good idea. Of course it's milking it a bit, but I think they'll add something good to the universe - if they're decent that is. Also, Karl Urban for young Han Solo? 

I'm now very excited for this film. It's going to be hard, but it's going in the right direction. Hopefully, they can get a good story in place and we'll have the Star Wars we all know and love back on our screens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment