Thursday 24 January 2013

A Young Doctor's Notebook Review

Sky Art's 'Playhouse Presents' has somewhat passed me by. I've missed many of the shows that were on at the time and have just never bothered to watch them on catch up. A Young Doctor's Notebook, however, I remembered to put on record. Mainly because of my love of Daniel Radcliffe because I didn't really know what to expect.

The mini-series is split into four thirty minute episodes. This afternoon I decided to stick on the first episode...A couple of hours later and I had finished the entire thing. That's how good it is. 

For many that don't know what it is, here's a quick synopsis: A newly graduated doctor gets drafted out to a hospital in the middle of nowhere. Told you it was a quick synopsis! Now I know it doesn't sound like much, but what entails is much, much more than that. It's a story of isolation, addiction, but ultimately it's very funny. I warn you now though, it's very dark humour. It's awkward, it's disgusting, but it's bloody hilarious! 

Daniel Radcliffe plays the brilliant, rookie younger doctor while Jon Hamm plays the older version of him. Most importantly, these two have very good chemistry and bounce off of each other. The other doctors add to the comedy too, it really is very funny. 

This isn't just comedy though. In fact, in parts it's horrible, it's sad and it's gross, but that's what makes it brilliant. It had depth to it, it's not mindless, everything has a reason. It just feels complete. 

I would wholeheartedly reccomend this, just make sure you have your eyes covered for the operations if you're squeamish! 

8/10 


No comments:

Post a Comment