1) It's not predictable
I like films that mix things up. I like it when you can't guess what's going to happen. I'm typically British, I like it when a film has a sad ending. Romantic comedies are perhaps the most predictable films around. I mean, come on, what else is going to happen?
2) The Soundtrack
I'm just going to take the time to write down every song that appears in this film (and I hugely recommend that you buy this soundtrack)
- "A Story of Boy Meets Girl" – Mychael Danna and Rob Simonsen
- "Us" – Regina Spektor
- "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" – The Smiths
- "Bad Kids" – Black Lips
- "Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want" – The Smiths
- "There Goes the Fear" – Doves
- "You Make My Dreams" – Hall & Oates
- "Sweet Disposition" – The Temper Trap
- "Quelqu'un m'a dit" – Carla Bruni
- "Mushaboom" – Feist
- "Hero" – Regina Spektor
- "Bookends" – Simon & Garfunkel
- "Vagabond" – Wolfmother
- "She's Got You High" – Mumm-Ra
- "Here Comes Your Man" – Meaghan Smith
- "Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want" – She & Him
I'm sure that the person who compiled this soundtrack took it from my Itunes. Seriously, I have every single one of these songs.
3) It's hilarious
To prove my point, this is one of the first things you will see when watching this movie: "The following is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. Especially you Jenny Beckman. Bitch." That gives you a feel for the movie right there. It's genuinely the funniest romantic comedy I have ever seen. It put the comedy into romantic comedy. (Yes I really just said that).
4) Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel
These two have outstanding chemistry on screen and more importantly, they're both talented actors. So many times romantic comedies have very average actors that just aren't believable. That's not the case here. Also, they're both incredibly good looking.
5) It's Relatable
Whether you're a teenager or middle-aged this film will relate to you in some way, I promise. I'm sure everyone has liked or even loved someone that hasn't liked them back. For that reason, this film hits a chord with you more than it would have.